I check regularly 'The Business of Software' forum which is a part of 'Joel on Software'. That forum doesn't have fancy outlook but the content is really good mostly. Recently there was active conversation about working at home.
The highlights were:
- requires discipline and not suitable for everybody
- establish and keep your daily routine
- avoid TV, IM and other distractions
- have lunch outside home, meet other people
- remove games and such from your work station
- take care of your physical condition and avoid snacks
- have a separate room for working or rent a small office
Clearly it requires more from individual than working in a normal office. But I know people who are driving one hour daily just to get to work place. That makes two hours sitting in a car daily. 10 hours weekly, 40 monthly and around 450 hours yearly depending how much you have vacation and sick leave. So, that means sitting more two weeks in your car just to commute to work.
Of course there are many jobs where you are needed to be onsite but for software development it is not that necessary to sit in the office all week long. As oil price is getting higher and people value their free time this is something to keep eye on. Maybe someone should organize training how to work at home.