Working remotetly has been in topics lately. The idea is that you can work where ever you feel like without need to sit eight or more hours in the office. Who wouldn't like to work from home or nearby working room without need to sit in trafic.
It is also easy to see problems with this type of working. You cannot get hands on help from your colleague, you have to be independent and able to meet deadlines without close control. So called silent knowledge is also more difficult to transfer if people are not meeting every day at coffee room. But despite those issues I still believe remote working will increase.
I found by accident an interesing company called Artlogic (www.artlogic.com). It operates in the USA and its stuff is scattered around the country. However, they claim to be doing pretty well. I can only guess the success factors of such company but one main point catching my attention was that they are consentrating only to most challenging projects. This naturally requires that their staff is really good but on the other hand they do not get bored to do same tasks all the time.
Basicly, in order to run company like that you would need persons who:
- Can work without close control and support. This means significant experience.
- Can find information and solve problems on their own.
- Understand what responsibility and deadlines are
- Realize when they need external help from other people so they don't sit on the problem until it burns them.
- Have also other life than work.
Anyways, this is a topic to which I will return later on.